Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Taking a vacation

I'm going to be away from the theater for the month of July, taking a bit of a vacation you could say.

SCT has been open for almost a year and a half now, and the shows and schedules have grown. Finding reliable help has been difficult and doing it all on my own has been a drain.

I love the music, the support that I've received from the fans and the musicians has been overwhelming and touching but as it stands now I'm heading down a path that I can't afford.

There have been lots of discussions on fees and costs in the SLMC in the past and on the SL forums. Discussions of venues opening and closing.

Live Music, for the venue owner is simply a loosing proposition in SL. Unless you have other means of income, like rentals or you're a venue owned by a musician and supported by his/her income the cost of staying in business is simply prohibitive. Add the stress of worrying about how to pay for it, failed promises of support, plus the hours and hours of work involved and burnout is just around the corner.

So I'm going to take the month of July off and reassess what I'm trying to accomplish and where I stand. I may come back with a different business model, or not at all. I may have to get a RL job to help support my addiction to SL and live music, in which case my activities will be curtailed anyway.

I figure I'll get it figured out... :)

No comments: